Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Bigger than deer, favorites?

A few folks have responded to the question about deer sized game. How 'bout for bigger than deer? Like elk, bear, moose, etc? What is your favorite rifle, bullet, etc?

I've used several, but two favorites have emerged over the years; the 30-06 and the 375 H&H. Interestingly both have been around for over 100 years, and still work great.

30-06, I use two loads:
    165 Nosler Ballistic Tip, or Partition, over a max charge of H4350 for 2950+ fps and sub MOA accuracy.

200 Nosler Partition over enough H4350 to produce a tad over 2600 fps with excellent accuracy. Something about that load is that it seems quite soft-kicking. Not sure why that is, but it's such an easy load to shoot well.

Between those two loads my 30-06 Rem 700 has taken antelope, mule deer, black bear, elk, wolf and grizzly.

375 H&H, I tend to hunt with just the 260 grain Nosler Accubond loaded to about 2650 fps. Excellent accuracy and superb results on target! I use RL-15 for that bullet. So far all I've shot with the 375 are a few black bears, at ranges from about 10 - 15 FEET, out to 300+ yards. The 375 works well at either. I'd describe the recoil as a big push, rather than a harsh slap like some magnums.

Have to give a nod to the wonderful 7mm Rem mag, after all, it did give me a terrific bull elk up in the Wind River Mountains, using a single 175 gr Nosler Partition:

What do you guys use, when you go after something bigger or tougher than deer sized game?

Thanks! Guy

Title
    Premium Member
    I have a five year plan that will take my wife and I to Wyoming someday. I decided I needed a little bigger rifle for when I get there to hunt Elk. Right now I知 ND, the chances of me drawing a tag for anything bigger than a mule deer is pretty slim. So I知 building a .338-06 on a Savage 110 action. That should cover anything I want a little more bullet weight for. Not sure what I値l load for it yet, but rumor has it the 210gr Partition is about perfect for that round. I値l have to try it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I've used a 168gr nosler partitioned in a 30.06 and a 500gr cast in a paper cartridge reproduction Sharpes. Both done the job remarkably. My next one is going to be a brass cartridge Sharpe's.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    And yes I used true black powder.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    I have a five year plan that will take my wife and I to Wyoming someday. I decided I needed a little bigger rifle for when I get there to hunt Elk. Right now I知 ND, the chances of me drawing a tag for anything bigger than a mule deer is pretty slim. So I知 building a .338-06 on a Savage 110 action. That should cover anything I want a little more bullet weight for. Not sure what I値l load for it yet, but rumor has it the 210gr Partition is about perfect for that round. I値l have to try it!

COOL! I've done a fair bit of hunting in Wyoming over the past twenty years. I go every two or three years, not year after year. Mostly for mule deer, but also shot a real nice 6x6 bull elk there on one trip. I think you'll enjoy.

Yes, I too have heard/read that the 210 Nosler Partition is pretty much perfect for the 338-06 cartridge!

Good luck. Guy

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EUDE75 View Post
    I've used a 168gr nosler partitioned in a 30.06 and a 500gr cast in a paper cartridge reproduction Sharpes. Both done the job remarkably. My next one is going to be a brass cartridge Sharpe's.

Very cool! What did you hunt with those two rifles?

Title
    Premium Member
    Elk. I had the Sharpes and wanted to go old school. Then I went back a cpl years later with the 30.06.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EUDE75 View Post
    Elk. I had the Sharpes and wanted to go old school. Then I went back a cpl years later with the 30.06.

Very cool, taking elk with the Sharps! Absolutely wonderful meat and a worthy game animal indeed.

Guy

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post

I have not used my 338-06 Ackley on anything bigger than a 300lb Texas hog, but the 185gr barnes tsx has been an outstanding bullet for me.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I have not used my 338-06 Ackley on anything bigger than a 300lb Texas hog, but the 185gr barnes tsx has been an outstanding bullet for me.

JTD
    Thanks for the info JTD! I was looking at that bullet as a deer option. When I get this rifle put together, I値l have to give it a try!